Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Noakhali District information area 3600.99 square km

Noakhali District Information

3600.99 square kilometers.
Bounded by
Comilla district on the north, the Meghna estuary and the bay of bengal on the south, Feni and Chittagong districts on the east, Lakshmipur and Bhola districts on the west.

Noakhali district, whose earlier name was Bhulua, was established in 1821. It was named Noakhali in 1868. It consists of six upazilas, 5 municipalities, 45 wards, 90 mahallas, 83 union parishads, 909 mouzas and 978 villages.
Upazilla/ Thana
Begumganj Upazila, Chatkhil Upazila, Companiganj Upazila, Hatiya Upazila, Noakhali Sadar Upazila, Senbagh Upazila
The ancient name of Noakhali was Bhulua. Once the agricultural activities of the north-eastern region of Bhulua were seriously affected by floodwater of the river Dakatia flowing from the Tripura hills. To save the situation a canal was excavated in 1660 running from the Dakatia through Ramganj, Sonaimudi and Chaumuhani to divert water flow to the junction of the rivers Meghna and Feni. After excavating this long canal Bhulua was renamed "Noakhali" after "Noa" (new) and "khal" (canal) in 1668.
Places to see
Noakhali Public Library (1895), Bajra Shahi Mosque (1153 AH, Chatkhil), Kali Statue (18th century) at Sirajpur union of Companiganj upazila).
Jatiyo Nishan, Abayab, Weekly Jatiyo Bangladesh, Noakhali Barta, Ajker Upama; extinct: Noakhali Hitoishi (1922), Purba Bangabasi (1884), monthly Asha (1901), Tanjin (1926), Desher Bani (1927), Chholtan (1924), Tripura Noakhali Lakshmi (1342 BS), Noakhali Sammilani, Jatiyo Bangladesh, Upakul Barta, Nayabarta.
Bamni and meghna.

No comments:

Post a Comment